User meetings offer a platform for exchange and communication. Credit: M- Setzpfand/HZB
The Seventh Joint BER II and BESSY II User Meeting will take place at WISTA, Berlin-Adlershof on December 9th and 10th, the neutrons session are at Berlin-Wannsee on December 11th. The Verein Freundeskreis Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin e.V. will bestow the Innovation Award and the Ernst-Eckart-Koch Prize. Public highlights are a science slam on Wednesday, 18:30 and the public lecture by David Cahen on the power of science to bridge ideological differences (“Science: Bridge over troubled water“, Thursday 17:00). The public lecture and the science slam are open for everybody.
Wednesday 9th December: WISTA-Centre, Adlershof
- The Synchrotron Day starts at 14:00: HZB scientist will present new developments at BESSY II, followed by the Young Scientists Session and for the first time:
- a HZB Science Slam (18:30).
Thursday 10th December: WISTA-Centre, Adlershof
- The Science Day starts with a keynote lecture by Petra de Jongh (University Utrecht) about the “stability of supported transition metal catalysts”.
- The next sessions are dedicated to short oral presentations about (user)-research at BESSY II, ranging from the analysis of spins in diverse materials, protein crystallography to the geology of meteorites.
- The Innovation Award and the Ernst-Eckart-Koch Prize will be awarded by the Verein Freundeskreis Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin e.V. during the afternoon.
- At 17:00 David Cahen, head of the optoelectronic materials group at Weizmann Institute of Science, will give a public lecture, sharing his thoughts on science as a bridge over huge divides such as ideologies.
- The Poster Session accompanied by the traditional “Berlin Buffet”, kindly sponsored by the companies represented in the industrial exhibition, will conclude the evening.
Friday, 11th December: LMC-Campus, Wannsee:
- The Neutron day begins with a Neutron session, where HZB scientists will give short overviews about new options and improvements, including the presentation of the High Field Magnet.
- In the Young Scientists Session and during the Poster Session, user research will be presented.
The public lecture and the science slam are open for everybody.
More Information on the User meeting
Download the detailed programme here.